Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

My Days In Poverty


I never forget my days
I never forget
The Dry bulla and the bread
The butter-pan with
Sugar and water
That never left my head

The dumpling and butter
Playing in dirty water running from the gutter
Or even bathing in the rain
That used to be my
Only shower

going to school
It was only
Fried dumplings and bag juice
A little exercise book and a piece of pencil
In my knapsack that was
 on my back.
Sometimes I felt so blue, because my grandmother
Could not afford a pair of shoes

Those were my days
So there`s no need for anyone to envy me
When you see me acting with pride and dignity

Most of my life growing up
I had no TV
But if I go to my
Neighbor`s house
My grandmother would
Beat me.
Whenever I looked on
My feet, I can`t help
But smile
Because they did some
Very hard work
Growing up as a child
My grandmother could not afford bus fare
So wherever we`re going
We had to make up our minds
To walk a few long miles

Those were the days
But there`s a very important role
That poverty played:
I have learnt a lot, and
It taught me
How to appreciate life in good and bad days
I`m still not rich, but I’ve come a long way
I have accomplished many things
In my life today

Porridge without milk or bush tea without sugar
At nights when time is hot
The wind outside was all we got
I never forget 
Going to church
Only a few coins
My grandmother could bring
Because she could not find enough to pay her tithing
When church was through, the elders and deacons
Would overlook you and shake the hands
Of those who are richer
Than you

Because all those things are
A part of me
Night and day I used to pray
For the heavenly father
To rescue us

I was never bound for destruction
Because deep down I knew
My life was under construction

1 comment:

  1. this poem is another story from my book Broken Wings. one thing i`ve learnt in writing is that my story is also somebody else`s story.

    ReplyDelete